Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Have You Got Something to Say?

Summer is over.

That's all I'm hearing lately- the ads for back-to-school supplies and every thing every where my eyeballs look are screaming it at me.

It makes me sort of sad almost.  Didn't summer just start?  Didn't it just get hot and now we're thinking about fall jackets?  Are all the seasons merging together?

I'm feeling behind and I am dragging my feet and hanging on with all my might.  I've tried to enjoy the summer slowly and have taken a break from writing to... What have I been doing exactly?  Collecting ideas by living in the moment?

Why am I up in arms about the changing of the seasons?

These weather thoughts are clanging and banging around all the other things in my head and it's just making no sense to me right now.  Let me just bluhhhhh all over your screen for a minute...
 
I read two blog posts this week: (how to have (not really a) crisis, but slowly) and (FOMO: it’s a real thing) and both of them were like reading my own thoughts in someone else's words.  

Several times before (here and here, I'm seeing a pattern: this usually happens when I run out of stuff to write about) I've thought hard about my own narcissism and my blip on the radar that is the Internet.

Sometimes I feel like the Internet has ruined us all and in order for me to be the best wife and the best mother I can be by being fully present 100% of the time I should just go all hermit and completely unplugged like my Daddy- three channels, no cable tv, no Internet, cell phone for real emergencies only, and real life real-time relationships instead of the art-imitating-life relationships we try to grow through social media.  I'd probably be bored for about two days before I fell head-long into the "real" world that I think often about.

Then I think about how nomadically spread out and busy we all are, how we're all just trying to do the best we can (or are we? another time!), how we live and love through our screens these days because that's just the way it is now, and how the Internet has connected us all and made the world a beautiful place that we can share together.

I'm swinging from extremes.  I feel like if I have nothing to say then I should just sit down and shut up forever, amen.  This will probably (hopefully) pass soon.  If it doesn't then I don't know what I'll do.  Lack of inspiration and writer's block really bums me out.

Maybe I should just take a serious break and completely unplug for about a week and see how I feel on the other side.  Would silence invigorate and clarify or bolster me on?

2 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

My sentiments exactly. I feel like big commerce rushes us through life - commercials for this and that - especially around this time of year. Give it a few more weeks and then everyone will be hyping Christmas. We gave up real television (with commercials) almost a year ago and I must say - I haven't missed it. I've stopped listening to radio for the exact same reason - I can't stand all the hype and talk, talk, talk. Some time I'm totally out of the loop on world events, but honestly I'm okay with that.

Don't worry - your writing inspiration will come back, just like I'm hoping mine will. Until then, have a great day!

Rachel said...

Thanks! Misery loves company!