Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Week 25

**********
Dear Child,

Yes, I'm putting your business on the Internet.  You can be mad at me about that one day, but it must be written down in order to provide a good back story.

Love,
Yer Mother

**********


Soooo...... Monday I took Mayhem to the doctor because he hadn't pooped in an entire week.  I wasn't really worried because I'd read that breastfed babies sometimes don't poop but once a week.  But it had been a week and no poop and although he was happy and playing (maybe a little more pooty) I was scared to keep waiting for something to happen only to be told later that I really should have brought him in sooner!  I have a hard time listening to my gut, especially since my gut says things like, "Feed me all the chocolate in the house!  I need a third piece of cake!"  Clearly, my gut can't be trusted so I try to listen to my head instead.

After trying the take-the-temp-to-make-him-poop trick, the doctor said he needs to eat more fiber and in a month! he should have a new "regular."  Oh, dear.  In addition to his daily oatmeal, he is supposed to eat prunes, apricots, pears, plums, beans, peaches, peas, or spinach.  And drink prune juice cut with water.

Let me just say, spoonfeeding is not something I enjoy.  In fact, I hate it.  It makes me want to smash metal folding chairs like wrestlers ("wrasslers" if you're from the South) do on tv.

Mayhem wants to operate the spoon even though physically he can not, but after a few times of me assuring him I will have to do it for him, he will settle for holding onto the spoon right in front of my fingers and helping guide my hand to his mouth......if he's in the mood to even eat.  Spoonfeeding is so time consuming and boring.  And messy.  Over half the bowl is smeared on his face, up his nose, on the bib, on my hands, on my shirt.

To me, this dinnertime dance is not worth it.  Baby food is expensive.  Especially if you buy the organic, BPA-free products so you're sure (can you be sure?) you're not feeding your baby poison.

After reading, BLW I am sure that is what I want to do to teach him to eat.  He is used to being in charge of his consumption already and I don't like feeling like I'm trying to force feed him.  (The concept behind BLW or baby-led weaning is that the baby "feeds" himself real food from the table and learns how to feed himself by the time he actually needs food for nutrition, not just milk.  No pureed food, no force feeding.)

P.S.  The doctor was right- all the way up his back, to his shoulders!  I gave him to Boots to wash off in the shower while I did damage control elsewhere.  Gross.




Toys may be for kids, but they're really for the parents, right?  Tired of looking at the toys he's been playing with lately I dug in Mayhem's closet and broke out these Melissa and Doug sports balls.  They all make different noises and have little smiley faces on them.  He'll probably really enjoy these when he gets a little older.

No comments: